Why all the fuss? For most of us, it’s not that big of a deal ... we grab our camera, turn it on, point at our subject and shoot. Pretty simple right? But if modern photography is that simple, and people are really so happy, then why all the photography books, classes, workshops and seminars? Why then, in a world were technological advancements have made capturing an image easier than making a cup of coffee, do we still want more? The answer is simple: pride. We’re missing it ... and we have to get it back.

Monday, July 13, 2009

The Bassist

Image by
Christopher E. Runfola
MEMS Technician

While walking around Balboa Park on a gorgeous San Diego morning, I heard beautiful music coming from the Casa Del Prado patio. I decided to walk over to see what was going on. As I approached, I could see many people seated in front of a makeshift stage on which musicians were performing various genres of music; apparently, this was some sort of fundraising event. The music was very relaxing and inspirational, yet I didn’t feel compelled to photograph anything in particular. As I made my way to the back of the stage, I noticed a bass player practicing and plucking away on the strings and knew immediately that this was the shot to take. I leaned up against a pillar, framed the bassist in the viewfinder, and adjusted the shutter to give me a slower speed in which I could attempt some slow-shutter techniques. The first shot, though framed nicely, didn’t quite look the way I had pictured it in my mind. So I tried again. And again. When I saw the third shot on my camera’s monitor, I knew immediately that I had achieved the result I was striving for. This, in my opinion, was the decisive moment in which I learned to “paint with a lens”, and the moment in which I grew as an artist.
Chris Runfola

1 comment:

  1. Flutter techniques are some of the most difficult to master. It walks such a thin line ... is it blurry or is it art. There is no doubt about this one my friend. It's wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete