Why all the fuss? For most of us, it’s not that big of a deal ... we grab our camera, turn it on, point at our subject and shoot. Pretty simple right? But if modern photography is that simple, and people are really so happy, then why all the photography books, classes, workshops and seminars? Why then, in a world were technological advancements have made capturing an image easier than making a cup of coffee, do we still want more? The answer is simple: pride. We’re missing it ... and we have to get it back.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A new view


When my wife and I went to Paris on our honeymoon, what stuck out in our mind about the Parisians is that they seemed to always be in such a hurry. They walked fast, they drove fast, they talked fast, and seemed to live fast. Paris seemed to be on fast forward to us, perhaps that is because that we were on vacation and not in a hurry to do anything and they were moving at the pace of their real lives. Anyhow, this picture captured what we observed and our impression of Paris. I call it "Life at the Speed of Paris". This was taken before I had ever heard or IFLC, Rod, or Robin, but after your class I realized why this has always been one of my favorite pictures that I have taken. I now look forward to going back there again some day knowing what I know now.



Hi Rod,

Thought that you may also want to hear from one of your newer students. I have had a life long love affair with art and photography. I have painted, drawn, sculpted, and done pottery. I have also been taking pictures since I was a kid. As a professional adult with a hectic schedule, I found that photography provided me with the best outlet for my creativity. But I never imagined that I could combine my desire to be an artist with photography until I found you and IFLC, thanks to the Poway Adult education program. From that lecture class and the slideshow that you provided I was hooked and could not wait until I could learn these techniques. I then realized how much more I have to learn and how a picture does not have a look a certain way and I can express myself any way that I like. So it has opened up a whole new world to me to explore. I have thoroughly enjoyed IF1&2 and looking forward to learning and doing more painting with the lens!

Warm Regards,

Images by
Bob Doustdar

No comments:

Post a Comment